A 53-year-old man who went into cardiac arrest Thursday afternoon while attending a timber industry event in the foothills outside Molalla, was brought back to life through the efforts of attendees using CPR and an off-duty Molalla Fire District EMT.

The man, whose name has not been released, was attending the Pacific Logging Congress “In the Woods” national convention, a three-day industry event being held this year at Port Blakely Tree Farms on Trout Creek Road, six miles from Molalla.

“Some people who were at the event administered CPR immediately until Steve Miller, one of our EMTs, put an AED (automated external defibrillator) on the man, shocked him and brought him back,” said Molalla Fire Chief Vince Stafford. “It was Steve’s day off, but he was volunteering at the event doing standby first aid.”

Stafford said thanks to funding from a grant and the levy voters recently passed, six Molalla Fire District paramedics and two EMTS were able to arrive at the scene in 12 minutes and get the man onto a Life Flight helicopter within 24 minutes after the 2 p.m. call came into the station. The helicopter arrived at OHSU hospital in Portland about 10 minutes after taking off from the clearing where it had landed near Trout Creek Road

“The whole system worked perfectly,” Stafford said. “Fortunately, people were there who had been trained in CPR, Steve Miller had volunteered to be there on his day off, and once we arrived with the ambulances, we got advance cardiac drugs to the man immediately, because it would be such a long distance to the hospital. It all worked fantastically well.”

Stafford said that even though the patient had — technically — died, with the quick treatment he received, he was already able to talk to paramedics while they were treating him. Stafford said he believes the man was from the Molalla area, but people were attending the event from throughout the nation.

Stafford checked with OHSU Friday morning, and said the man was “doing fine.”

Contract Publishing

Go to top